M&M’S Jurassic Mudcake
Dinosaur footprints stomp across this playful chocolate mud cake to the delight of fossil fans and families everywhere.
- 145 g plain flour, sifted
- 82 g packed brown sugar
- 28 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 g baking powder
- 3 g baking soda
- 1 g salt
- 1 egg
- 125 mL low-fat buttermilk
- 80 mL vegetable oil
- 10 mL vanilla extract
- 100 g M&M’S® Milk Chocolate, divided
- 55 g dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tube green icing, for garnish
- 8 g chocolate cookie crumbs
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350˚F/180˚C/Gas Mark 4. Lightly coat 20-cm cake pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In medium bowl, using handheld electric mixer, beat together egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until well combined. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until combined. Fold in half the M&M’S® Milk Chocolate. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake.
- Immediately press dinosaur footprint cookie cutter into top of cake, with footprints all pointing in the same direction. Using spoon, scoop out 1-cm depth of cake inside footprint outline and use fingers to smooth imprints. Let cool completely on wire rack. Remove cake from pan.
- Fill dinosaur footprints with melted chocolate.
- Decorate cake using green icing to resemble grass. Garnish with remaining M&M’S® and sprinkle cookie crumbs on and around cake to look like earth. To serve, cut into 12 pieces.
- If you can’t find a dinosaur footprint cookie cutter, draw and cut out your own template, or simply use your fingertips arranged like a dinosaur footprint and press carefully into cake.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, add 10 mL white vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice to measuring cup; add enough milk to measure 125 mL. Let stand for 10 minutes before using.
|Per 1 serving (1/12 of cake)|
|Energy||941 kJ 225 kcal|