Chocolate Surprise M&M’s Rainbow CakeShare This:
Surprise everyone with this rainbow-frosted chocolate cake filled with M&M’s and chocolate sprinkles. Fluffy store-bought frosting cuts down on prep time.
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup M&M’s Classic Mix
1 cup white frosting
2 tbsp chocolate sprinkles
3 to 4 drops each red, orange, green and blue food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line bottom of two 6-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; set aside.
2. Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar for 5 to 8 minutes or until pale colored and very thick; set aside.
3. In separate large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on low speed until foamy. Increase speed to high; beat until soft peaks start to form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
4. Fold half of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Sift flour mixture over top; fold in gently. Fold in remaining egg whites just until incorporated.
5. Scrape batter into prepared pans; smooth tops. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Run knife around inside edge of cake pans; let cool completely on rack. Remove cakes from pans; peel off parchment paper.
7. Cut each cake in half horizontally. Using 3-inch round cutter, cut out center of two cake layers. Place one uncut layer on cake board or platter. Place both layers of cake with cut-outs on top of uncut layer. Fill cavity with M&M’s and chocolate sprinkles. Top with remaining cake layer.
8. Frost cake with 1/3 cup frosting, spreading slightly thicker layer over top and thin layer over side. Refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes or until chilled.
9. Divide remaining frosting among 4 bowls (about 2 1/2 tbsp per bowl). Tint each bowl with a few drops of one food color (red, orange, green and blue). Spoon each colored frosting into separate piping bag fitted with small round tip (or resealable plastic bags with bottom corner snipped). Pipe each colored frosting in a rainbow pattern down along side of cake; smooth frosting using offset spatula or palette knife to create ombre rainbow effect over side of cake.
Tip: Use a Lazy Susan cake turntable to make frosting the cake easy!