peanutty halloween pinwheel cookies
Vanilla cookie dough is colored, rolled, chilled and baked to form eye-catching Halloween pinwheels.
2 hours 5 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp orange food coloring gel
- 1/4 tsp purple, green or black food coloring gel
- 3/4 cup M&M’S® Ghouls Mix Peanut, divided
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes (+ 1 hour 30 minutes standing time)
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, using wooden spoon, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Stir in flour mixture just until incorporated.
- Divide dough evenly between 2 bowls. Tint one dough portion with orange food coloring gel, and tint remaining dough portion with purple food coloring gel (or preferred color).
- Reserve 12 whole M&M’S® Ghouls Mix Peanut candies and set aside. Finely chop remaining M&M’S®.
- Divide and knead remaining chopped M&M’S® into each dough. Shape each dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Unwrap orange dough and arrange on work surface lightly dusted with flour. Roll into 8 x 6-inch rectangle. Repeat process with purple dough.
- Lift purple dough and place on top of orange dough. Lightly roll so doughs adhere together. Trim edges as needed. Starting from the long end, roll dough into a log. Wrap log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 40 minutes or until dough is well chilled and firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Unwrap dough log, trim ends and cut into 12 slices. Arrange slices on parchment paper–lined baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly golden and tops are set. While cookies are still soft, gently press one reserved M&M’S® Ghouls Mix Peanut candy into each cookie. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Tip: Bake the trimmed ends and reserve as a cook’s treat.
- starting at $5.99
- starting at $5.99
- $26.99Color out of stock