These eye-catching trifles are easy to prepare and make a fun summer dessert.
- 1/2 pkg (7.6 oz) white cake mix
- 8 to 10 drops blue food coloring
- 8 to 10 drops green food coloring
- 8 to 10 drops yellow food coloring
- 8 to 10 drops red food coloring
- 1/2 cup 35% heavy cream
- 2 cups prepared vanilla pudding
- 1/2 bag (5 oz) M&M’S Minis, divided
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners; set aside. Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Divide batter evenly among 4 bowls. Stir blue, green, yellow and red food coloring into individual bowls. Divide each colored batter among three muffin cups, filling about two-thirds full. Reserve remaining cake batter for another use.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean. Let cool completely on rack. Crumble cupcakes, keeping each color separate.
- Using electric mixer, whip cream until stiff peaks start to form. Fold into pudding.
- Layer 4 tsp blue crumbled cake into bottom of 12 mini trifle dishes; top with 1 tbsp pudding mixture and 1 tsp M&M’S. Repeat layers with remaining colors of crumbled cake, pudding mixture and M&M’S for a colorful rainbow trifle.
Tip: Dollop spoonfuls of each color of remaining cake batter into parchment paper–lined loaf pan, 8-inch round or square cake pan; swirl layers together with skewer for a marbled effect. Bake according to package directions; let cool completely. Slice and serve with scoop of ice cream. Garnish with M&M’S Minis.