M&M'S Star Stacked Christmas Tree Sugar CookiesShare This:
Kids will love helping to cut out the stars, tint the frosting and decorate the cookies. Best of all, they’ll have festive green fingertips to prove they were in the kitchen!
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
11/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup vanilla frosting
6 to 8 drops green food coloring
1/2 pkg (9.9 oz pkg) M&M’S Holiday variety
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar for about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into butter mixture until just combined.
2. Transfer to lightly floured work surface; knead gently until dough comes together and is smooth. Divide dough into 2 discs.
3. Roll out each disc to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out 24 medium-size stars and 24 small-size stars. Arrange each size of cutouts on separate parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
4. Bake medium-size stars for 7 to 8 minutes and small-size stars for 6 to 7 minutes or until bottoms are lightly golden brown. Let cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes. Transfer to racks; let cool completely.
5. Stir frosting with food coloring until desired color is achieved; spread over each cookie. Stack 1 small and 1 medium cookie together, offsetting star points to resemble a Christmas tree.
6. Decorate with M&M’S to resemble ornaments. Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
• Don’t add too much food coloring to the frosting, as this will cause the frosting to thin out and won’t allow it to spread or set well.
• Keep dough cutouts refrigerated on trays while waiting to go in the oven to bake; this will ensure that the cookies don’t spread too much or lose their shape.